17/03/2023 13:10

Brain-eating amoeba claims another victim: tap water probable cause

A man who lived in Charlotte County, Florida (US), died after being infected with the rare brain-eating amoeba 'Naegleria fowleri'.

Officials from the Charlotte County health agency said the victim may have had his nose washed with tap water contaminated with the Naegleria fowleri microorganism, which is responsible for the deadly infection. 

This is a micro-organism that rarely strikes, but when it does, it usually kills. Last Thursday, the Charlotte health department confirmed that the infected person had died and officials are continuing to investigate the case.